On Monday, July 31, the government introduced an application portal to facilitate the process of obtaining loans and scholarships under the New Universities and Colleges Funding Mode.
Education Cabinet Secretary, Ezekiel Machogu, announced during the launch event held at the Kenya School of Government in Kabete that all prospective students seeking financial assistance for higher education should now submit formal online requests through the Higher Education Financing (HEF) portal, www.hef.co.ke.
The HEF (Higher Education Financing) portal is now accepting applications for scholarships, bursaries, and loans for students entering universities and TVET institutions in the upcoming academic year.
Government scholarships and loans are accessible for students enrolling in universities, colleges, and TVET institutions starting from the academic year 2023/2024 onwards.
Students who enrolled in university prior to 2023 can continue to use the previous government funding and HELB loan application system.
Grants and scholarships will be granted based on the financial circumstances of the student, similar to how it has been done with HELB loans.
Here is what you need to apply for the higher education funding:
1. A phone number registered under your name.
2. KCSE and KCPE index numbers.
3. Passport photo.
4. Copy of your ID.
5. Copy of your birth certificate.
6. Phone number and copy of ID of your parent or guardian.
7. ID numbers of two HEF loan guarantors.
Note that if you do not have an ID, you cannot apply for the Higher Education Funding loans. However, students without IDs can still apply for HEF scholarships.
Here are the steps to create an account:
2. Confirm if you have your National ID.
3. If you have a National ID, enter it.
4. If you don't have a National ID, enter your KCSE Index number.
5. Provide a valid email address and create a password.
6. Your account will now be created. Check your email (Inbox or Spam/Junk) to activate your account.
7. After email activation, log in to your account.
8. Enter a valid phone number to receive a verification code. If the code expires, click the resend button to get a new one.
Here are the steps to follow when applying:
1. Log in to your account after completing the registration.
2. Complete your profile and update your personal information.
3. Provide consent for the collection of your personal data.
4. Enter your residential address details and save to proceed.
5. Include information about your secondary and primary schools.
6. Add details about your university or college.
7. Fill in your parents' information.
8. Submit your scholarship or loan application.
9. Give consent for the processing of your data.
10. Agree to the loan terms and conditions.
11. Update your guarantor details.
12. Provide your loan payment information, either through a bank or mobile payment method.
13. Carefully review your application to ensure all information is accurate because editing is not possible after submission.
14. Finally, submit your loan application.
Note: The portal will require you to upload certain documents to verify your financial status. The process is similar to the one used by the HELB loan portal, but HEF conducts the entire application process online, without the need for manual form submission.
The HEF portal was opened for applications on July 31, 2023. The application deadline is August 27, 2023.