Candidates of the Kenya Certificate of Primary Education (KCPE) have now been placed in secondary schools across the country in what the Ministry of Education promises to be a 100% transition.
Speaking at the Kenya Institute for Curriculum Development (KICD) in Nairobi on Monday January 16, Education CS Ezekiel Machogu, stated that the over 1.2 million candidates were placed fairly.
“This process has been carried out in a way that ensured fairness in the placement of KCPE Examination candidates of 2022. The placement was based on choice, merit and availability of places.”
National schools are the most distinguished secondary educational institutions in the country. The competition for form-one spaces at these schools is fierce.
Extra-county secondary schools, formerly known as provincial schools, provide the second level of secondary education in Kenya. They are the most popular after national schools.
The 20:40:40 ratio is used to select applicants for Extra-County schools. This implies that students from the Sub-county where the school is located occupy 20% of the openings in extra-county schools. Whereas the host county and other counties each receive 40%.
All candidates who scored 400 or more in the recently released KCPE were placed in National or Extra County schools of their choosing. Candidates for Special Needs Education were also placed in their preferred regular schools, while others were placed in special schools depending on their disability categories on merit and choice.
Some 270 students from slum areas were placed in national and extra-county schools of their choice in this year's selection.
This is in addition to those who were chosen based on merit and other factors. This effort is consistent with the government's aim of achieving educational equity by focusing on needy and vulnerable children in urban informal settlements.
Students enrolling in county secondary schools are admitted in a 20:80 ratio.
This means that the hosting Sub-County gets 20% of the available spaces in a County school, while the remaining Subcounties split the remaining 80%
To know which school you have been placed in; send an SMS with your Index Number to 22263 from any network. Each SMS costs KSh25.
On your browser, log on to www.education.go.ke, choose the county and sub-county where you took your KCPE, then enter your index number and submit.
To download your form one admission letter;
According to the CS, the Ministry has issued school fee guidelines for boarding students, which schools must follow.
The Form One reporting period will be from February 6 to February 13, 2023. The one-week period, according to the Education CS, will allow learners to successfully settle in and transition from primary to secondary school.